When you ask your friends or family about gambling, they would probably answer something about playing online games using their personal computer or their mobile phone. Some would say going to a nearby land-based casino that is a stone’s throw away from where you live. These are just some of the most popular forms of gambling. Sure, gambling takes different forms for it is as old as humanity. If you are curious and wish to play some games, CasinoCanada.online is packed with new and old games everyone will enjoy.
The forms of how people gamble and play their games may have changed overtime, but the reasons for doing it remain. Most people gamble because it is an easy way to earn money without sweating yourself out or some people just want to have a good time and unwind. Gambling, in all its form, is okay so long as it is done with conscious responsibility.
How Gambling Started in Canada
Canada was established as an independent country around 1800s, but gambling in Canada was way older. When John Cabot, a famous expeditioner, discovered the huge island by the 1500s, the natives that had lived there were already engaging in gambling and other similar activities long before the actual discovery.
Popular Land-Based Casinos in Canada
In 1989, the first land-based casino was established in Winnipeg. A few years later, another land-based casino was founded in Montreal. There are many commercial casinos that operate in other provinces like Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Manitoba.
Other popular land-based casinos in Canada include:
- Caesars Windsor – This casino is located near the US border and is owned by the Ontario government but is operated by the multi-billion company Caesars Entertainment
- Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort – Established in mid-2004, Niagara Fallsview boasts of its billion-dollar property that houses over 4,000 slot machines and 150 casino tables
- Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu – Located in Quebec, this casino is close to a ski resort, and around an hour away from Jean-Lesage Airport which makes it a very accessible resort for those who wish to spend a night or two
- Lake City Casino – situated in Kelowna in British Columbia, Lake City remains as one of the largest casino resorts in the area that people go to when they want to have fun
Online Gambling in Canada
It is worth noting that Canada is home to one of the biggest and leading online casino jurisdictions in the world, Kahnawake, belonging to Indian reserve, which belongs to the Mohawks. The KC or Kahnawake Gaming Commission issues licenses to many operators that run online gambling sites which in turn serve many patrons and customers around the globe.
The Legality of Online Gambling
The legality of online gambling in Canada can be described as confusing, in a federal level, every province has the right to assert its own regulations and rules. But historical and legal facts claim that no citizen in Canada has been fined nor persecuted ever for playing in an online gaming site. In general, Canadians can feel free to play and gamble in casino sites without the fear of prosecution.
The legal age one can start to gamble in Canada is 19 years old, of course, with some exception in places like Quebec, Manitoba, and Alberta where 18-year-olds are already allowed to play both online casino games and those found in land-based casinos.
How big is the Gambling Industry in Canada?
One cannot begin to fathom how much money the gambling industry in Canada provides each year. It has been said that over US$6 million is being earned in revenues every year. In some areas of Canada, local governments would own and run their own casinos; in some other places, governments would own the casinos and let operators run the casino. Tax revenues each year grow exponentially each year that is why it receives a fairly good word from the government.
Why Gambling in Canada is popular
While many people are against gambling in all its forms—the same people who exaggerates the negative effects one can get from gambling—more and more people have been realizing its good effect for the economy. Canadian government and authorities, with the casino operators behind them, are in total support for responsible gaming and gambling. Not to mention, gambling in Canada is highly regulated by proper rules, regulations, and limitations.
Here are some of the other reasons why gambling in Canada is a hit:
- Gambling is a form of entertainment good for unwinding and relaxing after a long day. People find it easy to relax in an environment where friendly staff is waiting to serve them while they enjoy playing their favorite games
- Not only that it is fun for customers and patrons, gambling is also beneficial to federal and provincial governments because of the flow of tax revenues
- Casinos, and the gambling industry in general, provide thousands of employment opportunity to many people, which cuts down the unemployment rate and helps the government provide for its people
- Because most Canadians make more earnings per month than any other citizens from other countries, more Canadians are able to wager a few dollars per month
- The Canadian government has yet to provide a sturdy legal framework for gambling and online casinos as they are aware that banning online and land-based casinos will never solve anything because gambling takes in many forms
These are just some of the most important information that you need to know about the gambling industry in Canada. Some online casino sites based in Canada are also worth checking out because they give out rewards for new players.
Anything that is too much is almost always dangerous. That is why we recommend that, should you find yourself having fun playing these games, you should always keep your emotions in check so you do not find yourself in a tight spot and getting addicted to it. Do you have gambling stories in Canada you would like to share? Feel free to leave them below the comments section. We’d love to hear from you.
Images by unsplash under Public Domains CC0